As a self proclaimed chocoholic at the age of 3 (“Grampa? I’m a chocoholic” is a family favorite quote from my childhood), a boyfriend-identified peanut butter addict last week (guess I should cut back a little?), and a lover of healthy and delicious treats…These cookies are the besssssstttt!
Easy to whip up, delicious to chow down, and nutritious to boot – these little drops of protein & salty sweet heaven will be sure to please! Eat them in the morning, afternoon, or evening – no guilt necessary because you deserve this treat and your body will thank you!
PB Flax & Oat Breakfast Cookies
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg (vegan? try 1 mashed banana or 1tbsp ground flax with 3 tbsp water)
- 1 cup rolled oats (I supplemented half Coach’s oats that are cut different)
- 1/4 cup flour (spelt, whole wheat, white, or GF will work. I used white this time!)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the peanut butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract & coconut oil together with a fork (or standing mixer if you have one). Soften coconut oil in microwave if necessary.
- Stir in egg (or egg replacement).
- Add oats, flour, and baking soda. Mix well!
- Sprinkle in flax and chia seeds. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Take a golf ball sized amount of dough into your hand, squeezing it together so they are dense and round – place on greased or parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, keeping an eye they don’t get too brown. They should be soft when you take them out – they harden up as they cool. Optional: While still warm, push down softly with a fork to spread them out a bit, being careful not to smoosh them so much they fall apart!
- Enjoy!!!! 🙂