Need a quick morning meal or something easy to take to the office for a mid-morning snack? Chia pudding is easy to prep, delicious to eat, and good for you!
When I first started seeing Chia beverages in stores I was really freaked out. Have you seen those juices that have little tiny blobs suspended evenly throughout the drink? It is kind of eery how they are perfectly suspended in the juice, like each seed has a little force field around it or something. Also, when I finally got up the courage to buy one the consistency was confusing – kind of thick with little chia blobs and the occasional crunch of a seed. Maybe you love them, maybe you don’t. Whichever you are, I recommend you try chia pudding!
With a higher ratio of chia to liquid, the pudding becomes thick enough to eat with a spoon and the consistency no longer throws me for a loop. It becomes a pleasant, creamy and thick pudding snack that is packed with nutrients, fiber, protein and healthy fats.
Not sure where to buy chia? It is now available in most grocery stores since it has become so popular. But you know where I buy it? Homegoods! Homegoods is a store, related to TJ Maxx, that sells home furnishings and decor at a discount rate. They have a whole health food section and most of it is very cheap for top of the line organic and natural products. Anyways, I get chia seeds there – a bag for $5.00 – but you can buy it nearly anywhere. If it seems expensive, think about how tiny the seeds are and how many chia puddings you can make with one bag…it’ll last awhile and be worth it!
Vanilla Maple Chia Pudding
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or your preferred)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple syrup (grade A or B)
- dash of salt
- pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- your favorite toppings!
- Measure out your milk into a tupperware or mason jar
- Add chia
- Add vanilla, maple, salt and cinnamon.
- Give it a quick stir to break up the chia clusters. Then secure the lid and shake!
- Put it in the refrigerator to chill and thicken. Shake again after 5-10 minutes. Then leave it for at least 30 minutes.
- Add your toppings – my favorite is strawberries, blueberries and coconut flakes!
- Enjoy immediately or put the lid on and take it with you to work – keep it in the fridge until you are ready to eat it.