Just me, myself and my ginormous green smoothie…
I went to the gym for the first time since being sick today. My legs have been itching for a workout, but my lungs needed some more time to heal so I just biked for 20 minutes and then did stretches on the mat. It felt SO good to be kind to my body and make it sweat a little.
Anyways, after getting home from the gym I decided to make a green smoothie because we have a LOT of kale right now. I’m not always a super fan of kale (GASP! A health-conscious, foodie person NOT in love with kale?!?!?!). That’s right. It gives me stomach aches and doesn’t always taste great – you can quote me on that if you want. Anyways, I’m particular about how I like to use kale.
BUT, I do love it in smoothies… IF you get the right mixture!
Monster Kale Smoothie
- 4-6 BIG kale leaves (mine was flat but you can use curly too, either way cut out the stiff ribbing so its mostly leaf, not stalk!)
- 2 handfuls frozen strawberries
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/4 avocado
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (vegan? leave this out – add less liquid!)
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- Optional: 2 tbsp coconut milk (I had leftovers from making coconut rice this week!)
- Water as needed to blend!
- Throw all your good stuff into the blender.
- Blend it up REAL good.
I didn’t actually intend for this smoothie to be the size of my head, but it yielded a lot and I was hungry so I took it all and sipped on it at work all morning. I might not even need lunch! Hence the name…MONSTER kale smoothie.
What I love about this smoothie is that the greek yogurt, avocado and kale really balance out the fruity sweetness so it doesn’t taste like dessert – it’s a little sweet and a lot of goodness!