Looking for a quick and healthy morning meal? Make a batch of granola at the beginning of the week and you’ll have an easy and delicious breakfast waiting for you when you wake up! Not sure if you’re a granola person? Give it a try…Alex used to say (and I quote), “I don’t like granola – it’s like horse food,” and now he loves putting my granola on top of his oatmeal to add flavor/crunch!
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (or veg oil)
- 1/3 cup honey (agave or maple syrup for vegan alternative)
- unsweetened shredded coconut (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Nuts & seeds & dried fruit of your choice
- My all time favorite nut in granola? Pecans! They get toasty and delicious like nothing else!
- Other go-to mix-ins? Chia, flax, sunflower, sesame seeds, almond slivers, walnuts, pepitas, etc.
- I do not recommend eliminating coconut altogether, it really adds a lovely texture and is critical to the granola flavor profile. Personally, I love the coconut so I put about 1/3 cup, but you do you!
- If you’re a dried fruit kinda person, I highly recommend adding it after baking the other ingredients. If you cook the dried fruit, it gets tough and ruins the crunchy texture (if you ask me!)
- Wanna switch it up? Add some ginger powder with a dash of nutmeg, allspice and clove – TA DA…Vanilla chai granola, anyone?!
- Preheat oven to 350
- Chop large nuts to your preferred size
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, mix in a pinch of salt so it gets distributed.
- Combine oil and honey in a measuring cup and mix them together.
- Pour the mixture over the oats/nuts/seeds and combine using a spoon or spatula. Try to get all the dry ingredients incorporated so they are moist with the oil and honey mixture. If you added a lot of seeds/nuts, you may need to up the amount of oil/honey by a little bit!
- Optional: Line your baking sheet with a silicone baking mat. If you don’t have one, no problem, just grease the sheet with some extra oil…BUT if you get into baking (I hope you do – its awesome), I highly recommend you invest in one! As somebody who hates doing dishes, the silicone mat saves me a lot of time scraping stuff that’s stuck to my sheets.
- Transfer the granola to your baking sheet and spread it into a thin layer.
- Pop into the oven for 15 minutes
- Remove the sheet, stir the granola to make sure the edges don’t get burnt.
- Cook granola for another 10 minutes or until its golden brown and your house smells like heaven!
My favorite ways to eat granola?
- With yogurt/almond milk + fruit
- On top of an acai bowl or smoothie
- On top of frozen yogurt
- On top of your oatmeal to give it tasty crunch!
- Combined with trail mix
- Banana with peanut butter + granola garnish…